My GoPro Hero 5 does not turn on anymore, what should I do?

When it was released, the GoPro Hero 5 was unanimous among sportsmen and video enthusiasts. With its brand new features such as its touch screen, its caseless waterproofing and its electronic stabilizer, it has been very successful. A few years after its release, it is also still in tune with the times. But it still has to function optimally. So, when a fine day it no longer wants to light up, it quickly panics. This ignition problem is relatively common on your GoPro model. Then, what to do when your GoPro Hero 5 no longer turns on?

In this article, find out all the solutions to fix the problem when a GoPro Hero5 does not turn on or do not charge.

GoPro Hero 5 won't turn on anymore what to do

What to do when your GoPro Hero 5 no longer turns on?

When your GoPro Hero 5 is not working, first and before any manipulation, remove the micro SD card from your camera and unplug the camera from any power source. Remove and then reinsert the battery. Finally, check that by pressing the Mode button no reactions occur (no indicator light, display on the screen or sound). In thelack of reaction, follow the instructions below.

Reset your GoPro Hero 5

When your Hero 5 camera does not turn on anymore, first try the reset. After removing the SD card and unplugging your camera from any power source, press the Mode button for 10 seconds. Then release your finger. Wait a few seconds, then press the Mode button or the shutter again. The camera should turn back on. If not, follow the instructions below.

Check the GoPro battery charge

When your Hero 5 camera does not start anymore, it is often a problem of car's battery performance. As a first step, make sure your GoPro is not fully discharged. To do this, charge it, preferably with the original cable. Wait a few minutes, a red light should light up on the front of the camera to show that the camera is charging.

If your GoPro Hero 5 is not charging and therefore that charging indicator does not turn on, try charging with another USB cable or other USB media. The problem can also come from a battery failure. If none of the solutions in this article work, and therefore your Hero 5 still does not turn on, try changing the battery.

If your camera is charging and therefore that the red light comes on, let it charge to the maximum. After a few hours, and once the red light goes out to indicate that the battery is fully charged, then remove the camera from its charging port, and attempt to turn it on by pressing the Mode button or the Shutter button. . If it lights up, you can reinsert the micro SD card and make normal use of your camera again.

Check for software updates for your camera

If it's only the screen of your GoPro Hero 5 that won't turn on, or that your camera hangs, check that you have the latest software update installed on your camera. Indeed, the software can be obsolete and cause bugs. In this case, from your computer, update your software which will correct any errors.

What to do if despite everything your GoPro Hero 5 camera does not turn on?

If after having tested all the potential malfunctions seen previously, you notice that your GoPro Hero 5 still not working, first try to make your guarantee from the brand or supplier. This option will be possible if you have it recently purchased (less than 2 years if you have not taken out warranty extension) or if the failure is due to a manufacturing defect.

In case this option is not viable, you can always contact GoPro Customer Support.

Finally, you can also call for a repair service. For this, the best is to call on GoPro after-sales service. But you can also go to a store specializing in repairs, being vigilant about the quality of the service.

Read also: 4 Common GoPro Problems Solved

16 thoughts on “My GoPro Hero 5 won't turn on anymore, what to do?”

1. I sent my gopro 5 black for repair when I put the battery on the gopro turns on but the screen remains black and when I add the sd card it no longer turns on

• Hello,
      Have you tried fully charging your GoPro, updating and resetting it?
      If this is the case, it would seem that in repair they unfortunately damaged the circuit (or depending on the previous failure, that they failed to repair it completely). We recommend that you call them to report the problem that they should normally be responsible for solving.
      Good luck.

2. Well, after a few years of using the Gopro 5, you can use it for 3 to 4 years without intending to start it and it won't work.
    Tengo 2 batteries pero con ninguna funciona.

• (Version en español continued)
      Hello,
      If you have not used the batteries for several years, be aware that this can damage them to the point of sometimes not working at all. Try to put them on a long charge (ie at least 2 hours). If unfortunately that doesn't work, try buying a new battery or getting a loan. If it still does not work, there may be an electronic component in your Go Pro that is no longer working. Unfortunately, and contrary to what one might think, electronic components wear out faster when not in use. And especially in the event of poor storage (humidity, dust, heat, etc.). In this case, we recommend that you contact a professional repairer so that he can carry out a more in-depth diagnosis, and if possible repair it for you ... Good luck.

Good morning,
      Si no ha usado las baterías durante varios años, tenga en cuenta que esto puede dañarlas hasta el punto de que a veces no funcionen en absoluto. Intente cargarlos durante mucho tiempo (es decir, al menos 2 horas). Si lamentablemente eso no funciona, intente comprar una batería nueva u obtener un prestamo. Si aún así no funciona, es posible that haya an electronic component in su Go Pro that ya no funciona. Desafortunadamente, y al contrario de lo que se podría pensar, los componentes electrónicos se desgastan más rápido cuando no se utilizan. There especially in case of bad almacenamiento (humedad, polvo, calor, etc.). In this case, you recomendamos that you pongas in contact with a professional reparador para that realice a diagnosis más a fondo, y si es posible repare por ti… Buena suerte.

3. Can someone help me, I bought a gopro hero 5 which happens to work but only if it's connected to a charger. I've tried connecting a completely new and charged battery to the camera but won't turn on nor charger. It does happen to blink a orange light when I connected the charger and show the information on the front screen but still nothing shows on the back screen. The camera just seems to only wont when it's connected to a charger and can't do anything when it's on its own with a battery.

• Hello,
      There seems to be a problem with the battery connection. I assume you bought the GoPro from an individual? You should contact the GoPro after-sales service because they must know this problem and they will certainly be better able to find a solution for you. Good luck.

Hello,

4. Hello, My gopro does not charge, and when I turn it on, it turns off by itself, where the battery symbol indicates, there is a plug symbol, when I put it to charge with it this symbol does not come out, and when i connect it to the charger and without the battery it works fine without locks, could you tell me what possible problem??

5. I hadn't used my Hero5 Black for a few years so I had to replace the battery. I tried manually updating the firmware, but that ended up frying the GoPro screen.
    Now GoPro is working (took photos and imported them to laptop), but the screen turns black 🙁 any ideas what I could do? I have tried the hard reset several times.

6. My gopro 5 turns on without problem if it does not have an sd card inserted, in fact I turn it on and when I insert the sd card it turns off i.e. I cannot put a card because it doesn't turn it on, could you help me?
    I thank you in advance

7. Hello,
    I turned it on, but the touch screen does not work. I have already updated the software manually with the SD card but the touch still does not work, I can turn it on to take photos/videos but I cannot change the settings or connect it to wifi

• Hello,
      Unfortunately, the problem is probably due to a hardware failure (disconnected tablecloth or defective panel). In this case, apart from being taken care of by a professional, there is certainly nothing to do.

8. Hello, I just bought a camera that won a GLS contest but the screen seems black, the rest works fine. I updated it to the latest version requested when first powered on, but nothing is the same anymore, what can I do?

• Hello,
      Try re-downloading an update from the GoPro site, and re-running an update from your PC. If the problem persists, then contact GoPro support. Since you just received your camera, they should repair or replace the device free of charge.

Leave comments